Thursday, June 26, 2008

Curiosity killed the cat...and is killing my budget!

I love how naturally curious Camden is. he loves to do science experiments and is always asking questions about the world around him. But...sometimes his curiosity gets him into a little bit of trouble. A couple of months ago, I noticed a hole in the couch. Assuming that it had gotten snagged on some sandals or somthing, I didn't think much of it, although I thought it was strange since there was no other wear and tear in that area. I later asked Camden if he knew what had happened, and he got this look...you know the one...I knew he knew what had happened. I told him I wouldn't get mad and he told me that he had cut a hole into the couch with scissors. "Why did you do that?" I asked. "I wanted to see what was inside the cushion." He was a bit embarrased when I showed him that we could have simply unzipped the cushion covers, but the lesson was learned...I thought.

A couple of days later I found my pampered chef bamboo tongs broken-he had stretched them to see how far they would stretch before they would break.

Fast forward to the other day-he brings his leapster to me and tells me that it isn't working. Assuming it just needs new batteries, I pull the old ones out and replace them, noting some water around the batteries. "Hmmmm..." I thought. The leapster still didn't work, so I asked Camden if his leapster might have gotten wet. He replied, "Well, I took it into the bath with me to dunk it under water." "Why would you do that?" I replied (I seem to ask why as much as he does-although I already know the answer I'm going to get...)

"I just wanted to see what would happen." Says Camden

And there you have it. He now knows that water and electronics don't mix. I told him to please ask before he did an experiment to see what would happen and I would gladly either tell him, or let him try it out...but I'm sure someday the toaster will be taken apart or something like that just so he can see what is inside.....

I tied to save the leaspter by taking it apart myself and trying to get it all dry and clean off the corrosion with alcohol swabs, but I only got it to turn on for about 10 seconds, and then it would abruptly turn off. Luckily, leapster is kind enough to send us another one since it is so new-lucky us!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Another way Camden takes after his Granddad!