Sunday, May 11, 2008

My square foot garden-the beginning

We had a fabulous enrichment activity on square foot gardening, and after going, realized that this was right up my alley. It's organized and looks great. So, I built the wood boxes, made the soil mix and have started planting! I will keep everyone posted on how it goes! Last year, I just threw some soil on the ground and saw what grew-well, my tomatoes were over 6 feet tall and I got plenty of zucchini, so except for the deer and rabbits eating my lettuce and grean bean leaves, it was pretty succesfull. I am hoping for a succesfull year this year-it's great to live in a climate where the veggies like to grow!
By the way, the All New Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholomew is a FABULOUS resource book. Not only does it tell how to do square foot gardening, but it also has a nice chart in the back of when to plant everything and whether it should be planted by seed or transplant and

other useful info.
We don't know how the garden will grow, but if this weed is any indication, I think we are in for a great summer! :)

2 comments:

Scot said...

Our friends do this and have had good results. We probably will do it when we move. It's much more efficient than dumping the whole seed packet in a few rows in our garden like we have now. We have 100 onions planted in a 6 square foot area. I think it's a little much and what are we going to do with 100 onions?

Tiffany said...

I just got flowers to plant! I'm soooo excited! I'm thinking next, taking out the rocks and doing veggies. We'll see how long that takes me. That looks great!