Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What's for dinner?

So, every week I do what my mommy taught me and make a grocery list with the dinners on one side, and all the ingredients I need to buy at the store on the other. Some weeks it's easy to decide what is for dinner, and some weeks it's hard. So, I thought I would list my weekly dinners, and then you can use the comments section to tell me what you are having and give me some new ideas! I don't pick which days I'm going to have what (since I never know what I'll be in the mood for) and usually have at least one extra dinner planned per week just in case I'm in a rush, or don't feel like something I planned or whatever. I will also include a recipe of the week to share. I made some yummy new dishes last week (lemon shrimp on parmesan rice, herb artichoke ravioli-yum!) So will add the recipes when they make the dinner rotation again!

Dinners for this week:

Santa Fe Chicken with yellow rice
Chicken Tandoori with brown rice and naan
Ravioli with salad and bread
Beans and rice wtih fruit salad
Spinach pizza with salad and fruit
Breakfast for dinner (we do this every Sunday)-smoothies, bacon and eggs
Loaded baked potatoes and fruit salad

I also have peirogies, gnocchis and a bertolli's pasta dinner in the freeqer in case an evening gets too hectic!

So, here is the recipe of the week from my list (also will post on relative recipes)

Santa Fe Chicken:

Marinade:
juice from 3 limes
1/4 c. soy sauce
1 1/2 tsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tsp. chile powder (I'm a wimp, I only put in like 3/4 tsp.)
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 1/2 tsp. coriander
6 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. honey
2 whole chicken breasts (4 pieces)
1/2 c. white wine
3 T. chopped cilantro leaves

Marinade chicken in ingredients. (The recipe actually says to add the wine and cilantro 1/2 hour before cooking-but I can never remember, so I just add it all when I make it) Bake at 375 degrees till done, or grill. Serve with papaya salsa.

Papaya Salsa:
1/2 c. cilantro leaves
1 c. cubed papaya
1/4 c. choped red bell pepper
1/4 c. diced red onion
1 small jalapeno pepper-seeded and minced (again-wimpy girl puts like 1 slice in)
2 T. lime juice.

Mix together and serve over chicken. I like to make this the night before or earlier in the day so that the flavors meld together better. You could also pulse lightly in the blender if you wanted a smoother salsa.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

yum yum that is definitely one of my favorites for sure! too bad my poor college student budget doesn't allow me to buy all the ingredients for that meal :) I have a really simple lemon butter chicken recipe I will put up on relative recipes sometime. It's so easy, but delicious! and a cheesy cauliflower head thing. Gotta love roomates and new recipes!